A resource for all those seeking the good of the City of Toronto
(Photo by bensonkua)
In my own question to better tackle the city, I’ll be listing up every good resource I can find about the great city of Toronto.
* Contact me if something you think should be on here isn’t, this is just a random collection of stuff that has hit my radar over the last while.
If you’d like to also further contribute to this project, I’ve got a wiki at toronto.solarcrash.com ready to go. Let me know if you’re interested.
This page will be a bit disorganized till I get a chance to sort things out.
- Population > 5.1 million people – fifth largest city in North America
– Ranked by the United Nations as one of the best cities in the world to live in
– Richard Florida who wrote “Rise of the Creative Class” describes Toronto as being one of the most creative cities and is on set to be “a world leader in innovation and prosperity”
– Yet 550,000 people live below the poverty line
– The most diverse city in the world – Over 100 different ethnic communities
– Fast Company classifies Toronto as a Global Village – one of the ‘fastest’ 30 cities in the world
– 49% of the population have immigrated to Toronto in the past 10 years
– On track with a ten year plan to becoming a Global Cultural / Creative capital
– Over a thousand various festivals a year, with some of the largest in the world including Caribana, Pride week, and the international film festival
– and of course one of the Facebook capitals of the world
Sanctuary – A community where the poor or excluded are particularly valued
St. Gabriel’s Parish – Greenest church in America
Grace Toronto - A church for the city in the city
Young Nak English Ministry
The People’s Church with Charles Price
St. Stephen-in-the-fields – venue rental and soup kitchen
Habitat for Humanity – a non-profit, non-denominational Christian housing organization.
Action for neighbourhood change – Via United Way – a coordinated response to the growing needs, and lack of services in Toronto’s inner suburbs.
211 Toronto – A directory of over 20,000 community, social, health, and government services
Yee Hong Geriatric Centre – A community caring for seniors
The Gateway – Shelter and drop-in centre for adults in the downtown core
Yonge Street Mission – A community called to demonstrate God’s love, peace and justice to people living in economic, social and spiritual poverty in Toronto.
Matthew House – A shelter in central Toronto that welcomes and assists refugees.
Scott Mission – A christian ministry of mercy and love
Urban Promise – Organization dedicated to meeting the needs of children, youth, and their families in at-risk communities across the GTA
Sketch – Working arts for street involved and homeless youth
Out of the Cold – City wide churches and synagogues partnering to provide food and shelter
CSM Toronto – Centre for Student Missions
Cardus – Formerly the Work Research Foundation
One Size Fits All? – Documentary of Fresh expressions of Church in Canada
Creative City Network of Canada
Youth Unlimited (Toronto YFC) – Investing in youth wholeness
Spacing Magazine – Exploring Toronto’s Urban Landscape
Divine Force Company – Spirit filled urban dance
Imago – A national arts network
Networks & Associations
Starfish Network – Regional network of house churches
Cardus Group’s Stained Glass Urbanism Report on Toronto the Good
Toronto Government 2.0 November 26/27th 2008
The worship project / Tyndale – Jan. 30-31 2009
Toronto Creativity and Innovation Day – April 21st
Nidus Festival – Faith, Arts, and Justice Gathering August 14-16th 2009