Rob Bell – Fit to Smash Ice

rob bell - fit to smash ice tour

Rob Bell’s latest tour (since resigning from Mars Hill) kicked off in Toronto today. It’s hard to explain what happened – it was like he sewed together a collection of random stories he had been aching to tell – and somehow made it work.

I’d rather not give the stories away, but here’s some quick notes:

The title ‘fit to smash ice’ comes from a comment made of Joshua Slocum’s boat which he had rebuilt from scratch and sailed around the world.

Overarching theme (maybe): who are you and what are you doing here?

The end is often the beginning

We hold things so tightly we can’t receive

Failure is not final

We’re all in a larger stream of God’s redemptive activity

You only get the next step forward (lamp vs. flashlight)

Sabbath is a time where we are busy being (rather than doing)

And story after story of failure, humiliation, and feeling small

You can find plenty more Rob Bell material here.

• Joe November 11, 2011, 10:14 am

Unfortunately I was at the Toronto gig last night. It was rough. It reminded me of seeing Bill Cosby a couple years back where he just reclined on a chair and rambled. I walked away wondering what on earth was the point of the evening? Story after story, and very little saturated in Jesus. I was curious what audience he was targeting. If he wants to decompress and do therapy with his groupies, did he need a neutral location and to charge money? Hmm…

• Lon November 11, 2011, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the comment Joe. I can see how you feel – I didn’t go into the night looking for anything toe be saturated in Jesus in any way, so maybe that’s why i felt differently.

• taylor November 11, 2011, 4:03 pm

i think he’s trying to reach out to those who don;t know Jesus. provoke thoughts.

• Evan December 4, 2011, 6:07 pm

I know many people who have been able to connect with what faith and hope and love are all about and on that note, his approach is working very well.

• Derek November 14, 2011, 8:17 pm

I enjoyed the debrief that Bell offered. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak the following night in Ithaca, NY USA and found redemption in his anecdotes. He actually did have a point to all of it. And it was not lost at all on this introvert.

The presentation, combined with a nice dinner from a friend 20 years back in my life, was all about redemption. I was not at all disappointed.

• Lon November 23, 2011, 10:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Derek – It’d be fascinating to see how off the cuff each event was. I’m sure the main narrative arc of the talk was intact each time. and regarding having a point – I think that’s the beauty of art (as opposed to propositional truth or mere facts) allows people to draw out meaning wherever they are on their journey.

• Derek November 25, 2011, 11:23 am

Thanks, Lon. I failed, evidently, to link my own review to my comment. It’s on this one, though.

Note: a spoiler pertaining to the primary theme

• Deb January 16, 2012, 5:09 pm

I really haven’t been following – just thought I’d see what Rob was up to. Wasn’t planning on commenting, but I’m Seriously offended and confused as to why the use of the “f” word on the “Latest Links” would be acceptable or necessary for you, Rob. disappointing…

• Deb January 16, 2012, 5:15 pm

commented too quick – not Rob’s site – don’t think I’ll need to visit this site again.

• Lon January 16, 2012, 10:02 pm

Sorry you were offended Deb. This isn’t Rob’s site, and the links on the sidebar are from auto-generated bookmarks. Thanks for visiting.