Why beauty matters

Beauty isn’t mentioned very often within churches.  Beauty is quite often pushed aside as being superficial, effeminate, fleeting, and purely aesthetic (which it can be).

But if you worship the Creator of heaven and earth, then beauty is inescapable.  Christ himself is described as the ‘beautiful one’.

The word ‘glory’ is laced throughout the scriptures and carries with it the notion of the weight of beauty.  Whenever the angels declare ‘glory’ to God they are proclaiming the overwhelming density and magnitude of the very source of beauty.

The scriptures go as far as saying that ‘the whole earth is filled with his glory’.

Our planet is chalked full of beauty.

If only we had eyes to see.

Coming soon: The next solarcrash event: broken-beautiful – Join our FB page, with details coming out this week.  Let me know if you’d like to contribute.

Photo Credit: Runran

• Mike Burns March 9, 2010, 4:09 pm

Lon, I’m attempting to figure some things out and looking for some advice. I’ve talked with my pastor about how I feel called into ministry. He’s excited. However, I’m 8 classes from finishing my bachelor’s degree in history at Ohio University. I have been working on that forever. I want to finish that and then look at some kind of education for ministry. There are two bible colleges in my area. Don’t know about anything else. I know God wouldn’t lead me to anything I couldn’t finish. I was just wondering about your background. You and I seem to have a similar outlook on things occasionally and wondered what advice you would offer, if you were so inclined.

Thanks and God Bless,
    mike b.

• Lon March 10, 2010, 10:01 am

Hey Mike, thanks for reaching out!

It’s a bit challenging discerning from a distance, but if we’ve got similar views on things, here’s my quick take off the top…
      – I think there is a possibility that God ‘may’ lead us to things we can’t finish… but it could be what our definition of ‘finished’ might be. Some times I think we need to rest in God’s higher view of our lives than completing what we perceive as the next milestone. a path may seem to run its course, but really just be an opening to a whole new trail
      – Having said that, even it it seems a ways off, I think there’s a lot of value in finishing up your bachelor’s degree. especially in something like history at a ‘secular’ university. Sometimes it’s easy to think the gold is on the other side of things, but I personally wish I could go back and cherish my university days more (it was a life-draining bachelor’s in engineering).
      – After my degree, I spent 6 years in seminary part time while working full time in the corporate world. To be honest I don’t think all too much of seminary (though the trend seems to be that a lot of people say that after the fact), but it could really depend on the school and curriculum. I thought simply the space I was afforded to reflect and the community was priceless. But I really feel many seminary’s are really dated and are training people to be pastors for a time that has long past.
      – My personal take is the future of the church is in the every day christ-following person who’s already immersed and engaged in the world, not a professional class of clergy (though we’ll always need the deep theologians and academics) I’m not sure it should be the default mode of discipleship or ministry.
      – Only other problem though in north america at least we’re still a professional/certification driven culture – and a degree still helps people get their foot in the door. Church planting or organizations outside of ‘the system’ may be a loophole, but there are always still catces.
      – in the end, if you feel called to ministry, start doing ministry today. it doesn’t need to take 60 hours a week and look a certain way. it’s your own communion with god and how you love, serve, and engage others today that’ll ultimately define your ministry in the long run.
      .. okay i’m ranting. not sure if that helped, let me know if you’ve got more..

• Mike Burns March 14, 2010, 5:45 pm

Thanks Lon,

I really feel the same about seminary and the job market of Pastors. It’s the world we’ve come to know but that doesn’t make it right. I have been in the trenches of my university days for the better part of a decade, however I do use the tools that I have learned in my service of the Lord. Especially public speaking and my researching. Right now, I’m working with a handful of teenagers in my church where the average age of the member is 80. It is a absolute blast and feel amazingly blessed each time my small youth group and I meet. Plus the older members are always quick to offer me some discipleship that I need. It’s what I’m after but I kinda feel I need that piece of paper to be taken seriously, which I’m sure is me focusing on man’s opinion and not God’s.

• joeie March 10, 2010, 6:50 am

Hey,
    Good post Lon. Looking forward to seeing how you’re going to expand these thoughts :).

• Lon March 10, 2010, 10:02 am

Hey Joeie! who says there’ll be more to expand on? but yes, i think i’ve got ideas on my next 20 or so posts along these themes…

• joeie March 11, 2010, 4:39 am

Haha. I don’t follow your blog religiously, but I know enough that once you post once so “casually” about a topic, you’re leading somewhere (even if it’s unintentionally)!

• Lon March 11, 2010, 9:51 pm

it’s intentionally leading somewhere… i don’t know where exactly. i’m just finding breaking up thoughts to smaller posts is easier for everyone rather than long essays!

• Nathanael Gerber March 11, 2010, 2:58 pm

Amen Lon.
    I think that our brokenness often blinds us to the beauty all around us.

• Lon March 11, 2010, 9:52 pm

That’s the hard part Gerber… when we, or others, are completely lost in hurt, how do we get to the place where we can even risk opening our eyes to beauty…?