I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

U2-Still-havent-found-what

This must be one of the top five most overplayed U2 songs ever. But it’s still worth mentioning.

I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
Only to be with you
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire
I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for

I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colours will bleed into one
But yes I’m still running
You broke the bounds
You loosed the chains
You carried the cross
And my shame
And my shame
You know I believe it
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found
What I’m looking for

This song still resonates today because it connects with the struggle of the human spirit.

No matter how much you’ve steeped yourself in routine and the mundane, there’s something inside of us all that remains unsettled, longing for more.

We try everything we can to satisfy that craving. Relationships, children, love, significance, unique experiences, and yet something still gnaws at our souls.

Some of us even discover God. The last section of the lyrics speak of Christ, and not what we can accomplish, but what God has already done. Taking the chains and our shame away. Replacing it with freedom.

Yet we’re still running, searching. At least I am.

Because with all that freedom and grace, I still find myself rejecting it. If it’s true what the Scriptures say, that belief must lead to actions, then the truth is, I spend my days not really believing.

And so, I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. Though I sure hope to someday.

* btw, that lyric “I believe in the Kingdom Come, Then all the colours will bleed into one” I’ve got to say is sheer brilliance. But how much blood must first be shed? Or has it already been shed, but then why aren’t we ‘one’?

• A_L October 13, 2009, 4:06 pm

"You know I believe it
    But I still haven’t found
    What I’m looking for"
    To me, this says we (or at least many of us) are looking for more than something to believe in, a theology that satisfies the mind.
    People are looking for relationship, for connection. Whether in a deep, eternal, philosophical sense, or on a day-to-day level. And it takes more than theology to accomplish either.
    I think I am closer to finding what I'm looking for. I see and experience glimpses.
    Yeah, it includes something to believe in, but it also intensely includes the heart.

• joeie January 24, 2010, 11:36 pm

“I think I am closer to finding what I’m looking for. ”

I wonder about that. Don’t you find that things you wanted 10 years ago are different from what you want now?

Even – what you wanted 2 years ago are different from what you want now?

So if our goal is not static because we as humans are not static, how is it that we can get closer to what we’re looking for? What are we looking for?

Maybe the response is that underneath all the change and development throughout the years, there’s still an underlying desire that doesn’t change throughout situation and time. So we generalize and theorize and say that the thing that people are most afraid of is ‘being alone’. Being neglected and forgotten and unimportant.

We’re all looking for meaning, but doesn’t this value of “meaning” take on different things at different points in our lives?

• Lon January 25, 2010, 10:55 am

i agree some of the less important things seem to change with different periods of life… but a lot of the human fundamentals remain the same.

there are somethings you find, never looking for, and realize you always needed (ie. my wife)… and then there are things I think you end up discovering, and then you think, there’s got to be more and want to keep searching.

i think on the faith end of things for me, there’s a sense that there’s got to be more to who god is and frankly who i am, than what i’ve discovered so far…

thanks for the comments, keep’em coming!

• Deana October 13, 2009, 8:54 pm

This is my go-to song. If I'm feeling especially low, or just completely forgotten, I turn this on louder than I can sing and belt it out.

It reminds me that we don't know all the answers. Maybe we're running to find God…maybe we're never going to know everything about him, even though we have found him. So we keep running, keep looking.

• lon October 15, 2009, 3:25 pm

i think i'm getting closer to… I don't think i'll ever 'arrive' this side of life though…

• lon October 15, 2009, 3:26 pm

thanks for sharing Deana… 'just completely forgotten'… that's quite a powerful statement to me at the moment actually. wow… glad you're still running and looking as well