Hip 2B Holy on Global TV

According to Global TV: There’s a Christian reformation stirring in Canada’s Christian churches. Forsaking the traditional pew and altar, these Christians are dropping pop culture references, defying the orthodoxy, and creating their own brands of worship. Suddenly, it’s hip to be holy.

To which I say, really?  I can’t honestly say I see a ‘reformation’ happening. Inklings of goodness coming out of the cracks absolutely, but the church still has a long way to go in Canada.

My friend Nathan Gerber will be featured in it, which will definitely make it worth watching.  (Revealed: Hip 2B Holy on Global TV Monday May 25 10pm EST, 9pm Central, 8pm Western).

See the video below interviewing director Karen Pinker and Kevin Newman about the show.  They sound like tourists who’ve read all the brochures, but haven’t quite lived with the natives yet.

I sure hope it’s not lame.  Pray that it’s an honest depiction (beauty and ugliness and all), and that it actually helps move conversations across the nation forward.

Update: Some clips from the show laced with post-production reflections.

Your thoughts on the ‘reformation’ of the Church in Canada?

Update: Here’s a link to watch it all online.

• tim May 21, 2009, 1:50 pm

“the church still has a long way to go in Canada.” <– i think you nailed it on the spot with that comment. we must pray. its going to be an interesting piece. on the bright side, kudos to a secular tv network for promoting this kind of topic… can you imagine ever seeing something like this broadcast in Canada, about Canadians, in years past?

• Lon May 21, 2009, 3:29 pm

Hey Tim, I guess I can’t quite imagine it… i still feel a bit awkward about coverage, because in some ways I don’t feel like we really deserve it yet, and maybe a bit embarrassed by what folks might find if they put us under a microscope. that’s the more cynical side of me speaking, i’m still very hopeful going forward though!

• Jason May 25, 2009, 7:31 pm

Hey Lon, I’ve been anticipating this documentary since it was announced. Nice to see some potentially good PR from secular TV which is normally quick to jump on evidence of Christian hypocricy.

I’m sure the segment will at least serve as a springboard into dialogue about evangelicalism, although I must admit I’m always a bit skeptical when secular media puts us under the microscope.

Trusting and praying ministry and family life is going well. Shalom.

• Lon May 25, 2009, 10:50 pm

Hey Jason, so good hearing from you! been ages. so what’d you think of it? and praying the same for you as well tonight!

• Mr. Sainte May 25, 2009, 10:43 pm

Hey, I just watched this documentary. Although I’m not of the Evengelical congregation at the tender age of 22 I’ve noticed alot of the problems being talked about in this documentary to be true. I love how the pastor in Barrie does his church a movie Theatre. Put people in a comfortable setting, somewhere where they feel safe to enjoy service and commune with Christ, that’s how he would have done it

God bless Nathan and his ministry, I seriously want a copy of this documentary to show my fellow church goers…

• Lon May 25, 2009, 10:52 pm

Mr. Sainte – I think it’s on again at 12 if you get the time-shifting channels, you could just record it… not sure if anyone’s going to be bootlegging it and sharing this one online!

Glad you were encouraged by it!

• Steve May 26, 2009, 9:10 am

I missed it. I really want to see it. Is there anyway to get a copy?

• Lon May 26, 2009, 12:06 pm

Hey Steve, no clue. I hear a lot of people recorded it, maybe someone will youtube it somewhere, I’ll post it here if i ever come across it!

• Sam Reynolds May 27, 2009, 5:36 pm

The programme, and these corpse of Falwell Megachurches remind me of the timeless McLuhan axiom: The Medium is the Message. I fear that the medium itself is distracting from the content. These ‘churches’ attempt to create a spectacle rather then be rich in content.

And not to mention that the whole movement is a tad bit anti intellectual.

• Lon May 27, 2009, 8:33 pm

Hey Sam, I wish it was a lot better as well, but what’d you really expect? Hopefully it serves as at least a decent conversation starter…

• Lon June 1, 2009, 8:04 am

hey folks, just updated the post with a link to the full video if you were still interested.