Jesus for President…

Jesus_for_president_book I’m working my way through Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw’s Jesus for President right now.  It’s especially interesting in light of the presidential campaigns right now.

The book is a phenomenal read.  Not quite as random as Irresistible Revolution, but just as powerful.

Jesus for President is a project in renewing the imagination of the church in the United States and those who would seek to know Jesus.  I love quotes like this:

A great paradox and humor of God’s audacious power:  a stuttering prophet will be the voice of God, a barren old lady will become the mother of a nation, a shepherd boy will become their king, and a homeless baby will lead them home.

The book walks through the narrative of the Scriptures with a political, grassroots lens from the margins.  It’s such a contrast from how I was exposed to the biblical text early in my Christian journey.  I’m encouraged on every page and feel honored that I’ve inherited such a wonderful Story as I read it.

The biggest thing with the book for most will probably be the packaging.  Each page is uniquely designed and arranged.  It definitely appeals to the senses.  My only problem is I love writing and underlining throughout all the books I read, and this one is just too beautiful to mark up.

• Amy March 24, 2008, 11:59 am

Thanks for your blog post about Jesus for President! I just wanted to let you know there are 2 videos of Shane speaking about his newest book Jesus for President, plus audio clips, visuals, and a blog tour at this link:

Please feel free to join the blog tour.

Blessings,

Amy

• Another World is Possible March 24, 2008, 4:10 pm

Hey, while we’re plugging stuff, if you’re a fan of Shane Claiborne and his book, then you should really check out the Another World is Possible DVD series. It’s a multimedia project by Shane Claiborne and Jamie Moffett (co-founders of the Simple Way) that emerged in response to their belief that things are not right in the world, and that they don’t have to stay that way. There are three DVD’s, one on war, one on poverty, and one on creation. You can find out more about them at http://www.awip.us.

• Lon March 25, 2008, 11:50 am

Hey Amy, thanks for the new video links.

awip – i actually own the poverty dvd… i’ll be looking to get the others sometime probably as well. thanks for the plug though!

• Marty March 26, 2008, 9:40 am

Just heard Shane speak at Central College in Pella, IA a month ago. The dude is a great story teller and he moved through some great ideas. He was asked several questions but never really answered any of them. To his credit he said a lot of these questions are contextual and it is up to the individual to pursue God to find out the answer.

I’m also working my way through this book and am enjoying it although it visually is wearing me out.

• C March 28, 2008, 9:28 pm

Did you know Shane is coming to Toronto? He’ll be speaking at Peoples Church’s Global Outreach Conference on Sunday April 20th. 🙂

• Lon March 28, 2008, 11:46 pm

Hey yup… i’m going to try to make it to that.. he’s also coming back in the summer as part of the jesus for president tour actually!

• Shawn March 31, 2008, 7:26 pm