Creativity revolution in China

china - creative class

I’m not as well-versed in the ethnic issues as many of my peers are, however I’ve been chewing on this article by Fast Company for a number of months now. Click on the caption below for the full article.

The Chinese don’t get creativity, right? Sure, they can stamp out a widget, or knock off a DVD, but when it comes to imagination, they just don’t have the gene. Well, keep telling yourself that.

The mindset that they’re countering has almost always been my perspective, and I’m Chinese.

China has increasingly been equated to a global manufacturing powerhouse due to the mass amount of cheap labor available… ie. the reason why you’re wearing and touching several items ‘Made in China” right this moment.

The article suggests that there is a revolution underway. Not just in terms of manufacturing, military, or the economy, but with creativity in China.

Could it be that God might be using globalization, technology, and the democratization of information, to liberate people like never before?

What would happen if the imaginations of 1.3 billion people in China were unleashed?

As the developing world transitions from the Industrial Age to the Creative Age, what’s next for the current Creative Class?

• Brandon Donaldson February 4, 2008, 3:12 pm

I see these places becoming leaders, even in the future of the church and its continued creativity. I hope to be open and teachable when that shift happens. It is easy to forget the large context of history and the future that we now find ourselves. The time the church currently lives in is just a small piece of the big picture. It will be exciting to see how these countries continue in leading the world and even the church! I am really interested in China!

• aaron February 4, 2008, 10:14 pm

Lon i have a random question for you. Can you email me at aaron@openapologies.org Thanks dude!

I echo Brandon’s post

• Lon February 4, 2008, 11:29 pm

thanks for the comments guys. it’s crazy how quickly things change… i was just thinking how electricity just got invented the last couple hundred years… canada’s only 130… computers… 50 or so… the internet… 10-20 years? it’s hard to imagine what the next 50 years might look like…

• Brad Ruggles February 5, 2008, 11:17 am

Wow, that’s an interesting article. Globalization as a trend is having some very interesting effects on our world. What kind of doors will this open for us? How will it change the way our country interacts with China?

Interesting thoughts to ponder.

It goes along with what I read in “The World is Flat.” If you haven’t read that you would find it very interesting.

Brad Ruggles

• Lon February 6, 2008, 10:46 pm

hey brad, i borrowed world is flat from the library and got through about half of it before returning it… i’ll get the rest of it done soon. listing through wikinomics right now which talks quite a bit about globalization/collaboration as well… thanks for commenting dude.

• Anna Meadows February 7, 2008, 3:49 pm

“If its true that China and India (also known as Chindia) are emerging global superpowers – what implications does that have for Christianity?”

Great question! the implications? I”m not sure… I’d say there’s opportunity… that is if we’re not afraid of the hard work…

• Lon February 8, 2008, 9:53 pm

Hey Anna, thanks for chiming in… you’re absolutely right… it needs to be looked as a great opportunity… for learning, sharing, advancing the kingdom, and changing the landscape of our world really… the implications are huge!