Play-doh – Imagination taking shape

playdoh.jpg

I’m preaching through a two week message on Ephesians 2:10 – the idea of being God’s living artwork. This past Sunday I passed out play-doh to each person in the community and had them shape and express thoughts through them.

I also pointed out how if they looked up close, they’ll find their fingerprints all over the play-doh and how if we take the time to look up close within others, and within ourselves, we’ll find the fingerprints of God. It was a neat tactile experience.

Of course my next thought was, how will I top this next week? … and therein lies the temptation to perform.

Hearing and sharing the voice of God has so little to do with performing. I pray that all of us who lead might not obsess over ‘taking it up a notch’, but allow God to take further residence within our souls this week.

• brad grinnen October 31, 2007, 11:36 am

lon,

hope you don’t mind if i use that. good stuff.

did you know that starting today, oct 31 @ noon, the new nooma…’name’ is premiering on the nooma myspace page? i assume you already know this, but if not, i linked it on my blog:)

brad

• Dave Sutherland October 31, 2007, 11:42 am

Well, I thought of a brainwave that just might artistically top the playdough lesson and burn its way into the minds of the community. But, you’re not into the showmanship so I can’t share it with you.

Lead us not into temptation …

• Markus Watson November 1, 2007, 2:26 am

Cool idea! I just might have to use that so that people in my church think I’m a really great pastor–which I’m not, but I’d like them to think I am! 😉

• Lon November 1, 2007, 8:46 am

Brad, thanks for the nooma tip off!

Dave… that’s hilarious… sooo tempting… why don’t you throw it out and we’ll see if we can resist?

Markus – haha, nothing like perceived greatness!

• Dave Sutherland November 1, 2007, 10:01 pm

The idea is so grandiose, so elaborate, so egregiously over the top that you’d never have time to pull it off by this Sunday. In any case, I’m preaching this Sunday afternoon to a group of 20 Canadian born Mandarin kids and I can’t have any of you stealing my thunder.

Just watch the front page of the papers on Monday!

• Lon November 2, 2007, 12:23 am

hahah, you’re too much Dave… crazy preachers.