For almost five years now my wife and I have set course for moving to Ottawa (Canada’s national capital) in the summer of 2008.
It appears that after five years a city can really grow on you. It’s been tough having our heads in two places the last few years, and we’ve finally decided to change course and further lay foundations in the beautiful city of Toronto.
Let me tell you a bit about this city of mine
– Population > 5.1 million people – fifth largest city in North America
– Ranked by the United Nations as one of the best cities in the world to live in
– Richard Florida who wrote “Rise of the Creative Class” describes Toronto as being one of the most creative cities and is on set to be “a world leader in innovation and prosperity”
– Yet 550,000 people live below the poverty line
– The most diverse city in the world – Over 100 different ethnic communities
– Fast Company classifies Toronto as a Global Village – one of the ‘fastest’ 30 cities in the world
– 49% of the population have immigrated to Toronto in the past 10 years
– On track with a ten year plan to becoming a Global Cultural / Creative capital
– Over a thousand various festivals a year, with some of the largest in the world including Caribana, Pride week, and the international film festival
– and of course one of the Facebook capitals of the world