Irresistable Revolution…

This book has completely wrecked me.

Irresistable Revolution - Shane Claiborne

I read a fair number of books, but this one just hits so deep into my heart I need to begin doing something about it. As much as I talk and attempt to impact people and the communities around me, this book reminds me how far short I fall from the simple ways of Jesus.

My wife calls what most of us live as “hokey-pokey living”. Most of us just dawdle through life, thinking we’re doing something significant, but when we really, really look at our lives, we’re no different from the rest.

I’d share some quotes, but I don’t want anyone to lose out on the essence of what Shane is saying here. Go and read it. I’ll lend it to you if you’re in the area.

• Yu June 4, 2007, 9:10 pm

That book messed me up mightily as well.

After reading it and speaking to Shane, it makes me simultaneously raging and hopeful about my current faith community.

• Joeie June 5, 2007, 10:41 pm

Awww c’mon. You can’t toss out a line like that about a book and leave us hanging. What’s it about? Why is it revolutionary? What’s so good about it?

Boo.

And your laughing baby is really cute 🙂 haha. Although at first it kinda sounded like she was crying 😉

• jake meador June 6, 2007, 6:17 am

Lon- It’s so funny you post that today… I just started reading it yesterday and it’s having the same effect on me. I’m about halfway through right now, getting ready to head out to Zambia next week, which makes the book that much more powerful as I read it. Glad to see other people reading and being equally moved. If you haven’t read this book, go pick it up, it’ll rock you.

• Lon June 7, 2007, 1:13 am

Yu, I feel hopeful as well, as long as i’m still breathing I’ve got a shot at actually living differently.

Jake, I’d love to hear your reflections on it as well. My wife just got half way through it too. It’s so basic, yet it’s so phenomenal because so few of us are living it out.

Joeie, yeah, sometimes it sounds like she’s crying, but she’s laughing. and haha, you gotta go read it yourself! I’ll write a couple thoughts in my next post, but if i was to summarize the book, i’d just be robbing you of the beauty of it all.

• Wiebke June 11, 2009, 6:23 am

Dear Lon,
    thanks for the post. I only read about the book this week (haven’t got the book yet) but it makes me so happy that someone adresses the aspects of the gospel, that are so easily overlooked in church because they are uncomfortable for people with our background.
    Since you posted this two years ago I wanted to ask if you would like to share with us how your life practically changed during those years. You wrote this book “hits so deep into my heart I need to begin doing something about it” and I’d really love to hear/read how it looks like now in your life.
    May God bless you and your family with faith, hope and mostly love,
    Wiebke

• Lon June 11, 2009, 9:51 am

Hey Wiebke, glad you got the book, and thanks for connecting on my blog.

This book definitely had an impact on me, and I’ve got to say I’m still working it out… it’s changed my attitude towards the church and our place in the world, it’s changed my value for small things in life, it led me to volunteering at a drop in center, it helped move me towards being more involved directly in the community that i now live in.. i’m looking forward to hearing how the book affects you as well!