Risky Leadership…

Cliff Diving

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing”, if what Edmund Bruke says is true, then passive neutrality will never overcome evil in this world.

Risky leadership is unafraid of moving forward in the face of uncertainty. The apostle Paul went from city to city so that some may hear his message of hope. He became all things to all people so that he might save some.

When a leader is driven by core convictions rather than circumstances or consequences their visions and their future are not determined by their resources. In fact, Peter Drucker goes as far as saying that the best way of predicting the future… is to create it.

Leaders learn from their failures as well as their successes. The only real failures are those where one violates their own hearts and do not make the most of opportunities presented.

Leaders act not because something is easy, but because it is right. They are willing to die trying, knowing the streaks and stains of their blood, sweat, and tears, might point others to what it means to fully live; just as the living God did.

My wife and I have risked, and will continue to risk, to create the future.

• olliespringer March 17, 2007, 12:13 pm

Great entry! Have you read “In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day” by Mark Batterson? If not, I think you will be encouraged and challenged in the reading.

Zeke

• deana March 19, 2007, 12:47 pm

so what’s the difference between adventurous leading and risky leading? Risky sounds like you could lose it all if you fail.

• Lon March 19, 2007, 7:58 pm

olliespringer – i actually have read it. Mark actually sent me the book for free which was great!

Deana, I guess it’s just about the same thing. I think risk, just adds the element of being open to lose it all amid the adventurous leading. I know loss is what I typically fear, so the idea of risk just reminds me that I don’t need to be be bound by it.

Not that I feel we all need to constantly be living on brink either though.

• obahsomah March 19, 2007, 8:16 pm

See risky things scare the doodoo out of me. I don’t think in realms of leadership though…I think in realms of life.

Adventure in life I’m okay with…but to think I could lose everything just really scares me…and I don’t know if I’m okay with that.

• Lon March 19, 2007, 9:24 pm

Thanks for the honesty Deana. I thought you might feel that way.

There’s risks in everything though, even in life… there’s risks of lost opportunity most of us don’t think of. But I agree, life can seem hard enough as it is, and the thought of losing anything we already have can seem totally frightening…

maybe that’s why certain people, leaders, or others, need to take the step of risk sometimes, to help press the rest of us forward. Otherwise, we might all live never knowing what we might be missing.

• theothegrey March 20, 2007, 4:39 pm

Hi Lon,
    Great thoughts on leadership and creating the future!
    Thanks for stopping by on flickr, too.

• e cho March 25, 2007, 11:45 am

good thoughts; what i’m learning is what happens when our ‘idea’ of risktaking is confronted by the ‘reality’ of life. hope that makes sense. sometimes, i find myself loving the idea of risktaking more and become so idealistic that i crap when i realize how messy it can get. peace to you.

• Lon March 26, 2007, 8:29 am

thanks for dropping in theothegrey!

eugene, you’re right… it gets completely messy and uncomfortable. Just checked out your site… you have a child named Jedi and you plant churches?! we need to talk!