Leaders need community

community silhouette

Leaders must feel that they need the community, as much as the community needs them.

Leaders must have the humility to acknowledge that they too are human beings with an intrinsic longing for community and belonging. Leaders need to allow others to speak into their lives and say the things that they may not be able to say to themselves.

Leaders must not mask their needs and their struggles from people. In doing so they lose out on the grace that God gives them through community. Not only that, seemingly perfect leaders can also indirectly demean the needs and struggles of others in the process. Leaders need relationships of all types from other leaders, peers, and followers in order to remain relationally healthy in the leadership journey.

Who do you need in your life right now? Who do you go to vent to, for encouragement, and how might we increase or deepen these types of relationships?

• Brian January 31, 2007, 9:09 am

Good stuff, Lon. Community is vital for everyone. Leaders without community whither. I could not imagine life and mission without my friends.

• Dallas January 31, 2007, 2:10 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. And where I personally see this breakdown is in the way that most people define or live out community. Doing fun things together or talking on the phone once a week is not getting it. We need to seek a community that encourages vulnerability and seeks change. If our community is always satisfied with the status quo then what does it benefit the kingdom or the people involved? It does not take a supernatural act of God for people to like each other and hang out because they have the same hair cut. But it does take a supernatural act for people to love one another, to be real with each other, and see each other change.

this includes leaders. They MUST surround themselves with men (women) that they trust and who are willing to say the hard things that need to be said.

• Lon January 31, 2007, 7:16 pm

Thanks for chiming in Brian, you’re right, it doesn’t matter what success brings if there’s no one around to enjoy it with… i doubt it’s even possible to be truly successful without community.

Dallas, it’s amazing what the love of God drives us to do, isn’t it? to seek to hang out with people unlike ourselves, is a phenomenal miracle that occurs within Christ-followers.

Don’t you just hate those people who always speak truth into your life? my wife’s one of those, I don’t know what i’d do without her…

• Parke January 31, 2007, 10:29 pm

In this stretch of things, I’m still leading at my community of faith, but not leading a small group. That’s offered a great opportunity to be served by my life group leaders, which I really value. I think too it’s important to have co-leaders who are your confidants and focused on the same area of ministry. I can share many things with my group, but there a thing or two that I need to process with another leader in a setting where we both are seeking the best for the situation and not gossip.

• maestas February 1, 2007, 3:20 am

this is exactly what i need to hear right now! I would love to be a campus minister and i have no experience in it. I know being in that kind of position requires leadership and a passion above and beyond the level I’m currently at. Good reading your stuff, I’ll definately stay tuned!

• Lon February 6, 2007, 10:21 am

Parke, Maestas, thanks for swinging by.

Personally I’ve always found it easier leading alone, but with this paradigm shift I’ve had to get real with myself and admit that I need people just as much as everyone else does.