Friday fix…

Here’s a thought of the week:

Could we create a church of missionaries that sends out so many people it ceases to exist?

Sweet links for the week

– The entire Passion ’07 event is available for viewing till midnight tonight. Speakers include John Piper, Beth Moore, Francis Chan, and of course Louie Giglio.

– A very interesting and humble response from John Piper on some ‘inappropriate’ language he used during the event.

– Free pdf download of Piper’s book When the darkness will not lift.

– Audio of NT Wright speaking in Toronto for the empireremixed in ’06

– NT Wright article on Mere Mission.

– A Canadian social networking site for mom’s. I feel a bit excluded as all the pregnancy/parenting sites seem to be geared only towards mothers.

– The Evolving Church Conference featuring Jim Wallis, Ron Sider, and Shane Claiborne will be held march 24th.

Church for men…?

Off-Road Disciplines book FREE for bloggers thanks djchuang

and Sweet and sour pork flavored stamps!

• Mad Max January 12, 2007, 11:06 am

Thanks for the links Lon!

• nooc January 12, 2007, 1:59 pm

I understand what you meant but I would suggest that’s when it BEGINS to exist…

• nooc January 12, 2007, 2:13 pm

So if I come to that conference you’ll pick me up from the airport and put me up in your house right? 😉

just kidding… mostly…. I am interested in that conference though.

• Lon January 12, 2007, 6:06 pm

anytime Sam!

nooc… good point. if you don’t mind the screaming baby, you can crash here anytime!

• Tom Hackett January 12, 2007, 9:56 pm

Thanks for the links Lon. I have been turned on to some really helpful links that have expanded my world.

• Bradley January 14, 2007, 1:21 pm

lon! thanks for the link to the nt wright gig. that was refreshing. also, thanks too for the link in the earlier post in regards to tv shows. im a big fan of heroes. you ever check out battlestar gallactica, the new series? interesting themes going on there. thanks again

• Lon January 14, 2007, 8:45 pm

Tom and Bradley. Thanks for swinging by. Hope you stay tuned.

I haven’t yet checked out battlestar… i’ve heard some good things…

• Dallas Peters January 15, 2007, 2:33 pm

Enjoying your blog.

we are moving a team of planters to Austin Texas in the next few months. (half the team is already there.) We are in the name stage right now and loving the process. I love thinking about the kingdom and dreaming about contributing to it.

Love finding guys with the same passion.

But to answer the question. I suppose that the church with such a sending mentality might neglect the needs of the current location. And then I suppose we would need to talk about the purpose of the church. I mean living in community and practicing faith and relation to God is kinda the goal, right? So I would hope that the church would never cease to exist in a location. Unless of course people cease to exist in that location.

• Lon January 15, 2007, 8:32 pm

Hey Dallas, thanks for dropping in. thank you for the location comment. I tend to always want to disperse and decentralize things to move on the mission, but i absolutely agree with you on the location… that there needs to be a practicing community of faith.

checked out your blog as well, i like it! i’ll be subscribing. Feel free to continue dropping in here as well, i always love connecting with church planters.