3 Horrible days…

Wednesday

We get called that Stellar needs to be rushed to the emergency unit.

I realized I’ve lost my keys as I’m speeding home to take our family to the hospital.

We get sent to the wrong emergency ward putting off urgent treatment that she needs for an hour

Stellar is diagnosed with severe Jaundice. Half of newborns get this but her level is debilitating and can result in hearing loss and brain damage.

Doctor’s tell us that babies that come in for treatment usually have half of her levels and don’t move much. Stellar’s strong and moving frantically which is good.

Stellar needs to go through multiple lamp phototherapy for the next 48 hours. Nurse’s take 6 stabs at my baby trying to find her tiny veins to plug the IV into. They say she may need a blood transfusion.

Thursday

Yvz and I don’t get much sleep lying together on a single bed/stretcher for the night wondering what we could have done differently.

Stellar’s bilirubin levels drop by 300 points which is excellent.

I find a way to finish my final paper in the hospital.

Yvz and I take solace in God, our praying friends, trusting that the medical staff are doing all that they can.

Friday

Stellar is taken off of her IV and the phototherapy treatment for monitoring.

We discover that she is missing an enzyme called G6PD that led to her jaundice. Because she’s a girl they traced that the genetic disorder was passed on from me! It’s a rare disease and somehow I managed to get through life this far without it showing up.

Stellar’s been finger-feeding while in the incubator and is having a very difficult time returning to breastfeeding.

Yvz and I both get food poisoning. She vomits once, I vomit five times.

Stellar’s okay and we’re released from the hospital. We need neonatal follow-up to see if she’s going to have any development issues.

My keys still haven’t turned up and I’ve spent over a hundred dollars on parking this past week at the hospital. But all that matters to me right now is that I’m back home with the two most precious people in my life.

Stellar in the incubator

Stellar in an incubator with IV and phototherapy lights.

Super-Stellar

Stellar with her goggles on looking like a superhero. And she is.

• parke December 9, 2006, 11:06 am

Wow, dude. I’m so sorry to hear about how rough it’s been. I praise God that you came through that mess in one piece and I’m really glad to hear you’re all back home together.

• Mad Max December 9, 2006, 11:45 am

Man. That’s a tough few days. Praying for you all.

• deana December 9, 2006, 12:18 pm

Oh I am sorry. It is never easy to watch your baby go through medical stuff! Steve told a nurse once that she had one more try on the IV on Max and if she didn’t get it he was sticking it in her….she got another nurse to give it a try! ha ha!

In the hospital here the nurses wear a shirt that says, “Inside every child is a Super-Hero who is Swift and Strong!”. I love that saying!

Praying for you guys, and that she picks up breastfeeding again…tell Yvonne not to get down on herself with that…and you guys couldn’t have done anything differently in the beginning…you are great parents who only have the very best in mind for your daughter.

• Will December 9, 2006, 12:53 pm

Here’s what you could’ve done differently–not have a baby! You really didn’t think raising a child would be all milk and honey, did you? You can’t think/dwell on what you could’ve done differently, b/c you really couldn’t have.

I’m really glad to hear that things seem to be slowing down a little for you guys. And I thought I was your 2nd most important person next to yvz, but I guess I have to graciousely step down and make room Stellar. Am I #3 now?

• Heather December 9, 2006, 3:34 pm

Wow. Your life is crazy right now. God I pray that you would help them and instill peace in them right now. Thank you Lord that you are always there loving us when its hard times! Amen!

• Heather December 9, 2006, 3:35 pm

At least you live in Canada. Now that we are back in the US we realize how expensive (even with good insurance) hospital stuff is. We had friends that had their baby in the hospital for 2 weeks and they owe like 7,000. Crazy eh?

• Lon December 9, 2006, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. It’s just been insane physically and emotionally.

Deana thanks so much for your note. We were told the rule at the hospital here was 2 tries per nurse. Just in case a nurse is having an off-day. We went through 3 nurses!

Will, sorry about getting bumped down. Now if we adopted you and you became our personal intern at home, maybe that’d take you up to near #3.

Heather, thanks for putting things in perspective. It’s so easy to take for granted how much help and support we’ve already recieved!

• Etta December 10, 2006, 5:45 pm

I’m sorry to hear how challenging it’s been. I am glad you guys are home. If there is anything I can do, let me know. You, Vvonne and baby Stellar are in my prayers!

• Sharon December 10, 2006, 10:39 pm

God is good!!!! He helped to restore Stellar’s health and gave you and Yvonne the strength to persevere through this tough time. Just hang in there. Yvonne, just keep trying. Stellar will eventually be hooked on the breastmilk soon.

• Patrick December 11, 2006, 2:32 pm

Hey Lon, you and your ladies are being lifted up in prayer, confident that God knows what He’s doing and with the faith that reminds us that Christ is still in the journey with us.

• nooc December 12, 2006, 5:49 pm

Holy freakin cow!

I’m glad things have levelled off but that is so brutal! I can handle anything – ANYTHING – better than my kids being seriously sick. Hearing what you went through makes me ache.

Praying that that is the end of that!
    nooc

• V December 14, 2006, 10:03 pm

WOW….I haven’t check in for a few days and look what happens…!

Our son went through the same thing…a coupla days under the lights and he was good to go too. It was still a very scary time, so I completely get where you’ve been.

Glad to hear you are out and around again!

You’re doing great.