Mosaic Ottawa blueprint…

In the middle of taking a break from writing papers in the library today, I did a bit of dreaming and scheming for the future church plant. Inspired by the leadership synergy diagram from origins, I decided to flip it around and plot out some values of what I’ve been imagining. It’s been on my heart for so long, it only took a few minute once I had a framework to map it out in.

faith, love, hope

– At the core of every human being is the intrinsic desire to believe, belong, and become.
– We believe that these longings call people out on a journey towards drawing on Christ, deepening in Community, and being driven by the Cause
– Each of these are driven by values throughout in the culture. Both the divinity and the humanity of Christ, the individual purpose and corporate movement of the cause, and the unity and diversity of the community.
– This develops an environment permeated with visionaries, missionaries, and passionaries
Collectively this is what forms a community of faith, hope, and love.

I wanted to take this a step further, and include another layer or additional overarching values of Reconciliation (faith + love), Beauty (love + hope), and Meaning (faith+hope), but it might be a little overboard.

What do you think? Any suggestions, tweaking, or major overhauling required?

• ebrian November 22, 2006, 12:38 am

Seems like missions is a really tiny part of your diagram.

• Mad Max November 22, 2006, 4:25 am

Wow. I really like that. And it strikes me that the whole thing is mission. Faith, love, and hope all pointing out. Me thinks I may definitely be “borrowing” this diagram!

The only thing in my mind which I might tweak is the order or the words. Let me know what you think though…

At the moment you have unity and divinity flowing into passionary. I wonder whether diversity and humanity might fit better with this?

Also, at the moment you have humanity and purpose flowing into missionary. I wonder whether divinity and movement might go better with this?

And then, finally, you have movement and diversity flowing into visionary. I wonder whether purpose and unity might work better here?

So basically, I’m just wondering about switching the order round of humanity and divinity, purpose and movement, and unity and diversity.

What do you think?

• Patrick November 22, 2006, 2:42 pm

Hey Lon,

Some serious soul-reflecting going on here. It’s good stuff, even if it sounds like math to me!

I’m wondering if it’s not “unity and divinity flowing into passionary” but rather (if I’m reading it correctly) that passionaries are primarily the convergence (or connection between) faith and love … that missionaries are propelled by their faith and underlying hope … and that visionaries are fueled by love and hope.

We need some hermenutical princple here, methinks …!

• Mad Max November 22, 2006, 2:47 pm

I think you’re right about it being a convergence of faith & love, etc Patrick. I just was wondering whether the unity/diversity, humanity/divinity etc could also flow out into visionaries/passionaries/missionaries.

• Lon November 22, 2006, 5:14 pm

hey guys, sorry to chime in late… busy day. Yes Patrick, that’s exactly what I was thinking. But I can see how it can be confusing…

eBrian, good point. some of it gets lost in the language when it’s not all spelled out. If anything to me, a church is a missional organization, otherwise it is self-serving and should cease to exist.

Everything moves outward missionally to impact the surrounding culture. The extension that comes from the innate desire to become a person of significance -> leads to participating in the ultimate mission, the cause of Christ, which is fueled by unique individual purpose and corporate mission, and is seen as hope to the world.

It sounds complex, but most of this to me is just ‘internal language’ to help understand things amongst leaders. To the non-believing world I would always return to the core of believing, belonging, and becoming, and being known as a community of faith, hope, and love.

Sam, er Mad Max, you’re right, i still might rework some of this. some of the overlap can be confusing if it’s not clearly defined.

My other challenge in the beginning was that I wanted to put God at the center of the whole thing… possibly from the Genesis 1 account being Creative, Communal, and maybe Celebrated? but really God permeates this entire thing. Lots to think about still… I just liked having a framework to build from…

• Mark Begemann November 23, 2006, 12:28 am

i’m not a huge fan of relational diagrams/hierarchies because it seems impossible to visualize all of the different aspects of… well, anything. when “everything” is included it tends to get very messy very quickly- like an entangled web or neural network. that being said, this is one of the best i have ever seen. i don’t think i could improve on it without diluting the overall message. it really is amazing and visionary. thanks for the food for thought!

• Lon November 26, 2006, 9:33 am

Thanks for dropping by and your email to me Mark.

• chad January 18, 2007, 10:02 am

Lon,

Just saw this post. Man…I think that’s a good way to assimilate all the values together. Good luck with what you’re doing.

Are you starting a church plant in Ottawa? How are things going for that? Are you teamed up with someone…denomination, organiztation, etc?

• Lon January 18, 2007, 6:45 pm

Hey Chad, thanks. It’s all church in the mind at the moment… people, partnerships, organizations, are all the really early stages still… got tips?

• Jason April 27, 2007, 6:12 pm

I like what you have there. Really cool. If I can add something, I’d just remind us that, from the Bible’s perspective, there is always the sin issue. For instance, your model states:
    “At the core of every human being is the intrinsic desire to believe, belong, and become.”
    Sin will obviously lead us to believe the wrong things, belong to the wrong things, and become something other than Christ-like people.
    I don’t mean to sound pessimistic. Sorry if I do, but I’m learning that the issue of sin, carnality, the flesh, etc., is a factor of life, of every life, for all of our lives. How would the enemies of the Spirit be a part of the diagram? Or should it?

• Lon April 28, 2007, 11:12 pm

Hey Jason, thanks for visiting and commenting! You’re absolutely right, i was struggling with communicating sin and in a way that’s how i began this.

So sins of disbelief, disharmony in relationships, and disservice to humanity could be another way of looking at it…

I wanted to get at the sin issue as not only our typical evil passions of the flesh perspective, but more broadly as even ‘knowing the good we ought to do, and not doing it, being sin as well. I wish I could figure a way to more clearly articulate it concisely in the diagram…

I also feel that all though broken, we’re all made in the image of God… and at the core, we’re not only sinful… and i figure believe, become, belong can be neutral terms to describe whether we’re moving in a healthy direction at the core…?

hope that helps, i’m completely open for reflection and fine-tuning, your thoughts are always welcome!

• Todd Welch June 12, 2007, 2:00 pm

I am sitting in my office blown away by this picture. three and a half years ago I had to pleasure of becoming a church planter. I planted a wonderful community with the core focuses on Belonging, Believing, and Becoming. You picture is amazingly like what God laid on our hearts. Thanks!

• Lon June 13, 2007, 8:20 am

Hey Todd, I’m so glad this was of value to you.

You’re way further along than I am, I’m still at the dreaming and scheming stage. I’d love to hear more about where your journey has you with those core focuses!

• Todd June 13, 2007, 10:14 am

Hey Lon,
    I love talking about what God is doing. I have to tell you the journey God has had us as a community and me as an individual has been mindblowing, joyful, and heartbreaking all at the same time. When we began our journey there was ten of us huddled together praying and seeking God. Soon after we began God revealed to us that Belonging, Believing, and Becoming were not just core values. For us they exsist not only together, but are also coming in an order. Let me try to explain. We place Belonging first. Most churches place the idea of Believing first because you need to believe in Jesus before you can belong. Not true for us. God came to show us that people need to belong to family. They needed to know they were excepted for all their hurts, doubts, fears, questions, and woundness. That they didn’t need to change to be accepted, loved, and to be part of our family. So that’s what we did. We focused on created a family atmosphere were everyone who walked through the door belonged there. Welcome home is one of our catch phrases. Once people truly believe they are accepted for who they are they feel free to ask their deep hidden questions. Once they begin to questions then they begin to wrestle with the Truth of the Bible. Truth is not facts, but a person – Jesus Christ. Once they begin to wrestle with the Truth then they come to Believe what God has to say about Himself and about them. Once we beging to Believe and apply what God has to say then we are in the process of Becoming who God created us to be in the first place. Our walk with God is a process of constantly walking all three of these. The journey must be done in community. It’s the way Jesus set it up. What do you think?

Todd

PS For more about us you can check out our website http://www.waypointscommunity.org

• Lon June 13, 2007, 10:33 am

Hey Todd, awesome thoughts. very much along the lines of what I’ve been thinking.

I’ve got a bit of a statement on this ‘order’ as well – see the 3rd missional core value here http://solarcrash.com/missional-values-2/

I think the keys are that the 3 are inseparable but despite the semantics, i think it’s all an ongoing process as well.

btw, i poked around your site a bit, it looks awesome. values are one thing, implementing them are sometimes a completely other thing.. how’d you manage?

• Todd June 13, 2007, 10:53 am

Hey Lon,
    I read you missional values I agree wholeheartedly. As far as walking out the plan I would love to say we had a great road map and followed it completely, but it would not be true. A lot of where we are is through trial and error, Holy Spirits leading, and some of it we simply tripped over on the journey. We started with our focus – “charting a course through life together” – relationships. We started with some specific plans – meeting on Tuesdays and Fridays, what the gatherings would look like, serving a meal every time so people could come strait from work – those sorts of things, but it think the most important part in managing the ministry was just stepping out and going. Then just being authentic and open as you go. I started from the beginning saying “we don’t know what’s going to happen, but we are determine to follow God.” This endured the people to us. Every mistake we made we confessed and repented when need be. But mostly we just model being honest with were we are at. I have to warn you though. If you focus on relationships and authenticness you will lose people. Some people just can handle the intimacy. Some wonderful friends have left our community. Some of the beginning ten simply because the intimacy was too great. I know it might sound weird, but it’s true. But with ever one we have lost God has brough ten more craving these types of relationships.

Todd

PS If you want a specific history of our journey – trial and errors – let me know I would be happy to compile some for you if it would be helpful.

• Lon June 14, 2007, 8:42 am

Todd – I would love to see anything you’ve got. Don’t go through too much trouble for me though, I know how crazy and busy the church planting life can be. Anything you’ve already got documented that you think would be helpful would be extraordinary!

• shu August 11, 2008, 10:34 pm

well, since I’ve stopped here, I figured I’d throw out my two cents 😉

I like the efforts and boldness to write out a diagram like that, I don’t think I could (maybe in the future, haha). I love that you put Faith, Hope and Love as keys in your diagram and Love at the top! Unity and Diversity are issues that should be rightly there in the Belonging side. Did you actually coin a new term “Passionary”??????? haha! If so, that’s wicked!

But ya, some thoughts that I do echo with Todd in those previous posts is that Jesus is the embodiment of Truth no doubt, I think I for one still have a modernistic tendency to make sure there is some more clearcut understanding of the “FAITH” aspect of the model. Is that unpacked in discipling? In the study of the Bible? The values are great, but where did they come from I guess?

The sin aspect is something I wrestle with as well, of course it’s really ORIGINAL good (image bearers and whatnot), but the Sin aspect is still there. I guess when I look into a more deeper aspect to a theology or Christology, there’s always some form of Hamartiology (Study of SIn). Maybe I’m just too Driscoll-esk or it’s the reformed influences, I’m just not sure you can preach Heaven without Hell (ala Tim Keller’s “Preaching Hell in Tolerant Age”). I guess the biggest thing for me in a more postmodern/experiential side is that all I see is sin rampant. Hope that wasn’t too much :p

Lastly, I think I’m wondering what is your take on the Missio Dei? I’ve heard a lot of different ways it has been iterated, I guess I’m just curious what do you feel is the Mission of God concisely or unconcisely? 😀

peace out!
    Shu

• Lon August 12, 2008, 6:45 am

Great thoughts Shu,

The problem with labels and diagrams is that it tends to simplify profound truths… as postmodern as I might be though, I still think there’s a need to manage complexity a bit with categories and visuals…

so I can see the clear cut need for understanding faith and what that means… ultimately I guess you could say it’s found in faith in Christ… or even the faith of Christ, that vertical relationship – which can be developed through mentoring, discipleship, scripture, prayer, etc. but I think it overlaps very much with the other aspects of love and hope, and how faith can’t fully mature without community, and without moving out on mission towards others.

When I created this model, it was more for myself and having a template and language to work from when interacting with those without a faith background. And so part of my faith is in that the Scriptures speak of how there is something intrinsic of God within ourselves… so with your question, where did we get this from, here I hope to explore with people that it’s already written on their hearts – these desires to believe, belong, and become.

Of course, it’s aligned with, and further informed by what we learn fro the word of God.

The sin aspect is completely still there for me as well… i agree with you about the rampant sin. For me it’s broadening our traditional understandings of sin, and raising the bar to what Christ intends from every life on earth… not just eliminating evil or bad habits, but the expansion of good… of proactively following Christ towards a life of faith, love, and hope.

I don’t deny the reality of it one bit, but I don’t talk too often of heaven or hell… partly because i’m still working through my eschatology, but also because of the present-ness I see in the teachings of Christ. And as you even state, if we can see rampant sin, then we as the church can also help cultivate rampant blessing, here, today. I see all too much hell everyday in all sorts of ways, that I pray I’m addressing…

phew, missio dei… these are all huge questions, we should meet up to chat again sometime… I’ve put up my thoughts on missio dei as it relates to us in response here http://solarcrash.com/missional-values-2/

Mission of God concisely at the moment, and this I’d have to say has probably been in a bit of flux over the years… the redemption of all creation. I’m sure I’m missing something in there, but i’ve been very redemption centric lately… When I read the gospels I just see redemption of religion, emptiness, prosperity, sin, purposelessness, rituals, relationships, etc.

I believe that through Christ as King and his Kingdom, God longs to redeem every individual, every community, every culture, and even every church… to take all that is broken and make it beautiful somehow again.

okay I could ramble forever, let’s keep chatting bro

• Jake Belder October 21, 2008, 1:57 pm

Just a brief thought…I like the diagram, and I notice a lot of “three’s.” I don’t think it is any coincidence that the life of the body of Christ is a reflection of the Trinitarian life of the Godhead.

• Adam Purcell December 4, 2010, 7:19 am

I really like this diagram. I always find it easier to learn stuff visually rather than in written form so this is cool. I have been looking at ways to display the values of our church planting resource at http://www.ccm.org.uk/church_planting/, and I may steal this diagram for a template if it is OK with you?

Adam

• Lon December 4, 2010, 8:55 am

Go for it Adam! I’m glad it helps! Would love to see what you churn up