Lon-gerie

I’ve been anti-brand name for most of my life, especially when it comes to clothing. I’ve always felt that brands were just another way of outsourcing our creativity.

We spend those extra dollars in exchange for some sense of assurance, that at least someone out there says it’s okay, normal, legit, fits-in, acceptable, etc.

I’ve begun my own clothing line. It’s called “LON-GERIE”, get it? The tag line is:

FASHION THAT BRINGS OUT BEAUTY IN OTHERS”

Here’s two from the ‘portfolio’.

Broken pieces creating beauty
Your life is Brilliant...

I’m not sure how long my iron-on will last. Here’s two interesting companies that beat me to it and can help create clothing with a personal touch.

Mondonation
Zazzle

May every one of us find ways to creatively contribute rather than conform.

• obahsomah November 7, 2006, 3:59 pm

I made postage stamps last year for Christmas for the grandparents. It was a picture of Max and said Believe in Miracles…the only thing is they won’t use the stamps because they are too special!

• Lon November 8, 2006, 7:22 am

yeah Zazzle does stamps, but I could see how people might not use them, especially with a picture of Max on it!

Maybe that’s the problem when things we create are ‘too’ special?

Just pulled up a great quote from Erwin McManus: Our planet is marked by golden arches, symbols of our willingness to relinquish uniqueness and line up for more of the same.

• martyschmidt November 8, 2006, 2:42 pm

I think it is getting harder and harder to be original. People say we have unlimited choice in America (or Canada for some) but I don’t know that that is entirely true. I can buy a pair of jeans but only the ones the stores sell. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we don’t have a choice but it is a limited choice. I’m not trying to be original just to prove I’m original. It is just hard.
    My brother recently attempted to start his own graphic arts design company. He wanted to call it paladrome graphics (or something close to that) with a tag line of “no matter which way you look at it we are the best” His first shirt was to be “YOBANNANNABOY” translated “Yo Bannanna Boy”. Only to find out that Paladrome Graphics was already taken. It kind of shut him down for a little while and he just climbed back into his cubicle.
    In closing I do think the internet has allowed people like Lon and obahsomah to share from the well of their own unique originality but I’m still bound by an inablity to function on the web that ends up being a ceiling to my creative production.

Peace Out

• Lon November 9, 2006, 5:13 am

Marty, great thoughts. I feel the same way sometimes, like it’s all been done, and my choices available seem to have gone through someone else’s filter already… but maybe that’s how others have felt in the past, just before they decided to try again and create something unique.

I’m not saying that everything needs to always be original. I just find sometimes we fuel our insecurity by looking to brands, or everyone else, rather than taking the time to reflect on or risk being ourselves. If there’s something out there that really resonates with your soul, my take is, by all means take it, rip it off, make it yours. I’m just saddened when we buy into things simply because someone else did.

• martyschmidt November 9, 2006, 5:02 pm

Have you used or know what Plaxo is? http://www.plaxo.com

I feel as if there are so many options out there for networking but I want to find one and stick with it. I have 1 blog, 2 e-mail accounts, but I know there is more to learn. Share some wisdom with me Lon.

• Lon November 9, 2006, 10:46 pm

Hey Marty, I’ve heard of plaxo… didn’t here positive things about it though due to spam and all.

I read techcrunch regularly, they did a review on it a while back.

2 email accounts is probably a good thing. I have the same, one address is just for things i don’t care too much for, but need a valid email address for the rest goes to my personal gmail account.

As for blogs and other tools like calendaring, note taking and all that, I’m in to a bit too many and need to hone it down to get a handle of it, but I guess i’m waiting for the perfect products to come out.

hope that helps..?