What have we done…?

If you have ten minutes today, watch/listen to this photo essay on Chernobyl.

Feel free to share what it made you think or feel.

• parke July 19, 2006, 11:12 am

Quite honestly, my first emotional response was to your title. The whole issue of corporate responsibility and guilt is one of those hugely divisive issues in the US culture that we rarely speak about. I might even argue that it is one of the drivers for the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I’ve seen both sides of the issue of corporate responsibility at different time and I’m still puzzling through it.

I am profoundly sorrowful for the people affected by the Chernobyl disaster. Human efforts there had an astounding and quite unintended consequence that will be with us for generations.

It is a continual reminder to us that technological advances may have a price we do not yet fully understand.

• Dave Kludt July 19, 2006, 1:59 pm

I watched this this morning…and my first reaction was…wow. Definitely a powerful presentation showing the destructive potential of human brilliance. I can’t imagine living with daily exposure to the effects of such a horrible disaster…and I pray for those who do. Man, what a hard thing to grasp.

• Lon July 19, 2006, 4:39 pm

Parke and Dave, thanks for checking it out and sharing.

I was in tears watching it… and not much unnerves me.

I’m a big believer in taking risks and innovative advances, but I’m at a loss at just how terrible and far-reaching our actions can be.

How can there be hope…or how can we be hope, in a tragedy like Chernobyl, that seems to have no end in sight other than the slow annihilation of a people?

• parke July 19, 2006, 10:56 pm

I’ve not read the book, but it seems the author of this book has found reason for some hope.

• cindy July 19, 2006, 11:30 pm

Lon,
    I was in tears as well. How tragic and seemingly hopeless. I thought that Yevqeniy Aleksandrovich Borvkin put it best:

“…we don’t know how to capture any meaning from it…we can’t place it in our human experience or our human time frame.
    So what’s better, to remember or to forget?”

• Lon July 21, 2006, 10:41 am

Hey thanks for the book reference Parke… i’ll see if our library has it. I love being light in the darkness and all, but this was a bit overwhelming for me when i was watching it.

Cindy, thanks for viewing. After reflecting a bit more, as unbearable as it is, I don’t think we can afford to forget. We need to know how much weight our choices have in this world… i’m still trying to absorb this all.

Fighting evil I somewhat understand, mother nature I’m trying to learn to deal with, but such endless tragedy as a result of innovation that was intended for good here… i’m still trying to come to grips with.

• cindy July 21, 2006, 6:43 pm

Ya, I hear you Lon. And I tend to agree with you. I thought it was quite interesting though that someone who had gone through it and was trying to live beyond it made the statement that he did. We think we have a hard time grapeling with it!

• Edina December 5, 2006, 12:13 pm

OMG…I was just surfing around and found your block and the link to the presentation about those Chernobyl victims. I was shocked though I ever know that there are a lot of people/children who are suffering. (sorry for the bad English, I’m from Germany). I felt so selfish while I watched it, cause everytime I think I have a heavy life I forget all the other people on earth who are really suffering. All my “little” problems and something like that are nothing against those diseases though I also had a hard life.

Thanks for sharing that with us, maybe it shakes up a few people!
    Greetings