Church Planting and Kingdom Advancing Network…

Gathering

I plan on launching a Church Planting and Kingdom Advancing network (I need a shorter cooler name) on campus at Tyndale this Fall term. See the post that brought this about here.

Knowing next to no one, as I begin my first year full-time there as a student, I’m trying to make things ‘legit’ with student council, and hope to find a way to draw out those that might be interested in something like this.

i’m currently imagining the gatherings to be provide and be driven by…

Networking – Awakening and connecting with like-minded and like-hearted people.

Equipping – through Students, practitioners, professors? Material from Acts29, IMN, or others?

Resourcing – Tools, books, sites, experiences, networks

Visional Environment – A place to pray, dream, innovate, create, cultivate, and inspire one another.

One of the first experiences I hope to connect this group with is via a road trip to the IMN (International Mentoring Network) Regional conference in Montreal in september.

International Mentoring Network

We’ll be joining Alex McManus and the IMN team for a multi-dimensional experience that will sharpen your missional frameworks, enhance your personal creativity and provide you cutting edge tools for ministry. Including:

– Strengths assessment and training

– Steps for guiding people through life transformation

– Voxtropolis–new paradigms for mission and ministry in our cyber-electronic world

– guidance for leaders of the church in a 21st century post Christian west

– access to new networks and relationships

What do you all think? I’m going to need lots of help with this and hope many can get involved. Anyone interested?

• Sam. June 12, 2006, 1:13 pm

This is really exciting, Lon. We’ll be really praying that this takes off. And if I can be of any help in one way or another, then let me know.

• tony sheng June 12, 2006, 1:35 pm

I agree. Sounds very very cool. Let me know how I can help too.

• nooc June 12, 2006, 3:31 pm

Love the idea!

As for shorter/cooler name… I don’t know how you feel about acronyms but what you bolded above (Networking, Equipping, etc.)… works out to NERVE.

Works for me.

nooc (acronym)

• Lon June 13, 2006, 10:56 am

Thanks Sam, Tony, Nooc! It really means a lot. I wish I could say I knew what I was doing as well. I’m just running head first and seeing what happens!

Nooc, NERVe… hrm, interesting. i just might use that. acronym for nooc? i’ll take a swing at it. Never Once Ordered Cookies? Neat Or Outrageous Ceature?

• nooc June 13, 2006, 1:15 pm

nice try Lon… the subtitle on my vox kind of gives it away though.

nooc

• nooc June 13, 2006, 3:22 pm

topic switch… know any good churches in TO? Have a young adult from the community here moving out there and wants to get connected.

Thanks,
    nooc

• Lon June 13, 2006, 9:23 pm

Hey nooc… interesting acronym!

My home church is somewhat of an ethnic based church, so it’s not always the best environment for people with a different ‘heritage’ unfortunately i find. Toronto’s a pretty big city, and there’s a whole range of different faith communities. A few that have hit my radar in the community include… Freedomize, People’s, The olive branch, Queensway cathedral to name a few.

So it could depend on where they’re willing to commute to or where they might be in their spiritual journey…

I’d love for people that come out of this ‘network’ to start launching more innovative and missional communities, it’s quite an amazing city to minister,work,live in!

• martyschmidt June 13, 2006, 10:10 pm

I would very much like to stay in the loop in what you are doing Lon. I have a high value for networking and am always looking for different circles to be a part of.

Am I understanding that your hope is to create a place for students to connect and grow in or is it a church you are trying to plant a church on campus?

• Lon June 14, 2006, 10:26 am

Hey Marty, thanks for keeping up!

I’m convinced as much as people can seem ‘to themselves’ there are people all over, even catalytic leaders, that have a desire to plug in and network with others… somewhere deep down. I hope to find these men and women!

As for your question, i’m hoping to create a place for students to connect, it is a seminary after all. But I just find that there’s a sense of having ‘already arrived’ when people are there. And the dreaming and the visioning seems to come to a bit of a halt. I hope to be church planting once I’m done, and hope to help others to do the same as well!

• jason June 17, 2006, 8:01 pm

Sounds like a pretty cool thing, Lon. I hope you are able to raise up some great leaders to plant churches.

• Roger Ferrell June 27, 2006, 4:11 pm

Lon,
    I work with Mission M Possible and am glad to hear what you are doing! We have a Student Church Planting Network and work with University students through what we call our NOC (Network Operations Collegiate) List. Mission M Possible (www.missionmpossible.net) trains and mobilizes and networks students in church planting. Let us know how we can help and check out our blog at http://www.missionmpossible.blogspot.com. There are lots of articles on students in church planting.
    Roger Ferrell

• Lon September 12, 2006, 11:06 pm

Thanks for the resources Roger.

After a long process of talking to student councils, deans, and advertisements that were botched severely last minute, We’re going to try to have our first meeting on campus tomorrow at noon… calling on those Voxtropolis prayers now!

Thanks all!