Being Superman…

Superman Returns Quotes from the upcoming Superman Returns movie.

Jor-El to Kal-El (Superman’s father to his son):

“Even though you’ve been raised as a human being you’re not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all – their capacity for good – I have sent them you… my only son.”

Superman to Lois Lane:

“You wrote that the world doesn’t need a savior… but every day I hear people crying for one”

Many articles and articles have already been written about the comparisons of Christ with Superman, but what about the followers of Christ and Superman?

In the Scriptures they mistook John the Baptist for Christ, anyone ever mistaken you for Superman?

What would it look like if followers of Christ, though different from those around them, were the leading examples of what it meant to be fully human? to be the very best of humanity?

How might we impact and influence others if we saw the greatness, and the beauty, the hope, and the good within them?

Where would you be today if you were living as a person sent to bring light into the darkest crevices of humanity?

What would happen if you heard the inaudible cries for a savior from the people around you?

When people saw the extraordinary life John the baptist was living and calling others to, he was able to point them to One even greater than himself.

What would happen if we became heroes in our towns and cities, and before people began calling us super men and women, we could point them towards the greatest Hero to ever walk the earth?

• stephen June 21, 2006, 11:01 am

Great post Lon. Thanks.

I was wanting to see the film. Now I want to experience it all the more.

• alyssa June 21, 2006, 11:02 am

I am really excited to see the movie. I used to not enjoy movies that stem from comic books but my eyes were first opened to XMEN and now I am a lost cause. ; )

• Lon June 21, 2006, 12:26 pm

Stephen, Alyssa thanks for tuning in. I’m totally stoked about the movie as well. Looks like it’s getting good reviews from critics so far. I hope it’s not being over-hyped!

• ijourney June 21, 2006, 5:19 pm

Lon–thanks for commenting on my site. Great quotes. I also noticed you’re planning on attending the regional in Montreal. Excellent! Perhaps I’ll see you there. If not, maybe in a future IMN 7 day immersion…

• Lon June 22, 2006, 12:55 pm

Hey Mike, thanks for dropping by! Yup, i’m all signed up for montreal. Hope to see you there too.

I hope to make it down for the immersion one of these years, but it’s just been difficult. What’s your current IMN involvement?

• ijourney June 26, 2006, 9:08 pm

Hey Lon–I’ve finished my 2nd year in the IMN, and have joined Alex on the IMN staff as one of the Navigators. I’ve been to most of the major conferences, but I’ve not experienced anything like the IMN. You should do the immersion. You’ll enjoy the regional. I’m not sure I’ll be at the Montreal regional, but if I am, I’ll look foward to meeting you.

• alyssa June 29, 2006, 10:44 am

I saw the movie last night. Umm.. maybe it was because I was soo tired but I thought it could have been better. I liked it. But I think that maybe if I saw it when I was more awake would have been better. Go see it and tell me what you thought.

• Lon June 29, 2006, 11:29 am

I just saw it last night as well. I think I was hoping for more as well, but I still thought it was a good movie.

They definitely tried to make it very Christ-story like. A bit overdone at times, yet the movie I felt was a bit under-developed in some areas. Effects were great, I could see how the 3D experience might be cool.

Some of the subtleties I thought were great, like the scene where Lois removes her shoes because riding with supes is a very familiar thing for her.

Kevin spacey was great as well. And i’m glad the dude Lois was going to marry was not the usual horrible person the hero rescues the lady from, but was actually decent throughout. All I was thinking was how I’d hate to be in his shoes. How do you compete with superman?

• alyssa June 29, 2006, 2:04 pm

I noticed the same thing about Lois’ shoes. It was cute I thought and likable in a subtle way. That’s funny.