The world is flat and invisible children…

The world if flat cover
I just finished my last paper for the term, and it looks like there’s no appropriate classes I can take in the summer, so I’ve got a couple months of living and working like a normal person.

I’ve gotten back on reading. Currently going through “The divine conspiracy“, “The secret message Jesus“, and I just picked up ‘The world is flat” from the library.

A couple early quotes from it.

“Those who get caught in the past and resist change will be forced deeper into commoditization. Those who create value through leadership, relationships and creativity will transform the industry, as well as strengthen relationships with their existing clients.”

In a conversation with a leader of an outsourcing firm in India: “We are in the middle of a big technological change, and when you live in a society that is at the cutting edge of that change [like America], it is hard to predict. It’s easy to predict for someone living in India. In ten years we are going to be doing a lot of the stuff that is being done in America today. We can predict our future. But we are behind you. You are defining the future.”

A lot of this sounds like the usual globalization talk, and sometimes I think there is a perception that this is how things will always be. That developed nations, like America, will constantly lead and innovate while ‘helping’ other nations through outsourcing while they race ahead. What I believe, and hope Friedman gets to in the book, is that this won’t always be the case. If it’s true that every soul longs to create, express, dream, and innovate, then in a ‘flattening’ world, there could come a time, i hope, where every nation leads and innovates, and no person is reduced to a commodity. Sadly, I think the thought of this frightens some people, corporations, and countries.

The Corporation

Speaking of corporations, I know I’m late on this, but I finally watched “The corporation” with Yvz last night. It really is a must-watch.

Right this moment, we’re raping the earth, and one another, and we barely feel a thing.

We also watched “Invisible Children“. I’m completely distrubed by it. Though I am amazed at the type of resiliance and hope these children have with the conditions they live in… especially when I compare them to the punk kids I’ve come across.

Something in these kids, that I’d like to believe is the image of God in every human being, allows them to still experience glimpses of joy while longing for better days. For them, not being murdered, raped, or abducted is cause of celebration. What does it take to make you celebrate?

• bricksmom April 24, 2006, 9:51 am

I just got The World is Flat this past Friday, at the recommendation of a friend….looking forward to digging in – maybe we can dialogue some more as we go.

I haven’t heard of “The Corporation” but I’ll check it out.

V.

• onelife April 25, 2006, 6:39 am

Hey there, we can definitely do that. maybe over at the vox bookclub? I just realized I have the first edition, and there’s a newer expanded edition out now though.

and the Corporation is excellent. One of the best documentaries I’ve seen. I thought everyone heard of it, but turns out it’s Canadian made, so might not have got all the promotions it should have.

• Sam. April 25, 2006, 6:42 am

I’ve kept coming accross this book lately. I’m in need to a few books for my two weeks in California next month so I might just include that as one of them.

• onelife April 27, 2006, 11:42 am

Let me guess Sam, you’re heading to California next month for Origins aren’t you? I’m so jealous. Who needs books when you’ve got an experience like that coming up!

Seriously though, the vox community might want to look into “world is flat” as the updated edition now talks about how with a level playing field, bloggers are becoming the creators of content and culture.

• Sam. April 27, 2006, 12:33 pm

Yep! A week in Newport Beach for holiday and then a week of training with the International Mentoring Network that incorporates Origins. Can’t wait. Shame you can’t be there as it would have been good to meet. Maybe next year!

• Sam. May 2, 2006, 6:24 am

I just came accross The World is Flat in a random bookshop at the weekend and picked up a copy. Just on chapter one so far, but i’m really enjoying it. I’ll keep you posted…and let me know more of your thoughts too.

• Lon May 4, 2006, 6:11 am

I just finished chapter one as well. I like the bit on ‘homesourcing’. And getting off the phone recently with customer service from India, I’ve noticed it’s changed the way I interact / fell about them, after gaining some insight into their efforts into the call-center world.

• Sam. May 4, 2006, 6:52 am

I know what you mean. Having said that, there is defintely a dislike here in the UK of the way banks in particular have shifted so much to India. And whilst the author talked about lots of people learning the American/English accent, many people struggle to understand the people they are speaking to. This obviously causes frustration.

My mother-in-law had some big problems trying to sort out an insurance claim where the call centre was based in India too. The claim required knowledge of the English road system which the person in India clearly didn’t have. And the ability to handle claims seemed to be entirely script based with no ability to handle problems which didn’t fit onto the script.

I can see the benefit of moving much of this work overseas, but I think it is going to be a huge challenge maintaining good customer service. Already there are some banks now advertising on the fact that they don’t have overseas call centres, as people like talking to people who they feel truly understands things. And whilst being overseas doesn’t matter in a lot of instances, there are many others where it makes a real difference and can lead to very poor customer service.