google calendar

I’ve been waiting forever for this. finally just got in the beta.

try logging in with you gmail at www.google.com/cl2

there’s a couple bugs still and not all features are enabled yet, but just an update on how much I love this already, here’s a screenshot of my current month.

What I love are the calendar overlays so I can click off certain calendar types, ie when I don’t feel like looking at work stuff. I made a calendar for tasks / so it’s like a to-do list of the day as well that I can turn on/off. I’d love to hear how other people are using it and what mash ups come out of this.

google calendar snapshot

• stevewatson April 12, 2006, 10:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up that it’s in beta. I too have been waiting for it to come.

• stevewatson April 12, 2006, 10:58 pm

I just realized this is Lon’s page. Glad to find you here!

• onelife April 12, 2006, 11:53 pm

Hey Steve, yup, it’s me. Been here a while, glad to see you’re still alive and kicking as well! Just started fooling around with this ‘calendar’ thing. I htink it’s still got some bugs, but lots of potential!

• Sam. April 13, 2006, 1:00 am

Great! Been wanting to get this for ages.

• onelife April 13, 2006, 10:45 am

Just realized my avatar’s not showing up. maybe that’s why you didn’t know it was me Steve. I added a snapshot of how i’m currently using google calendar. I’ve organized the calendar overlays into

Personal.
    Work.
    Small Group. (i hope to try making this one a collaborative environment)
    Disciplines. (daily things like the gym and the scriptures)
    Priority-Tasks. (my one thing each day that might not have a time associated with it, but needs to get done at some point. somewhat like a to-do list)

I’d love to see how other people end up organizing things.

• Sam. April 13, 2006, 10:48 am

You need to set you avatar up within VOX, Lon. We’ve moved from running through gravatar.com to running it in-house. Here’s the HowTo guide: http://support.voxtropolis.com/howto-add-a-profile-picture-to-my-blog/

I’ve just started setting up my calendar today so not as fully set up as you. Im really liking it though…I’ll keep you updated.

• stevewatson April 13, 2006, 11:02 am

Great calendar example Lon. I’m particularly interested in sharing calendars with others so Deana and I can sync up a calendar. I’ll let you know how that works out.

I’m interested to find out if they’ll add access to the calendar from an installed client as well. I read through the settings and help to see if I could access it from Apple iCal or Outlook but couldn’t identifiy that yet.

• Keith April 13, 2006, 11:42 am

I just started getting mine set up as well. I’m looking forward to seeing how I can use it to share information with my wife better – looks like the options to use the calendar overlays will help with that.

• Parke April 13, 2006, 2:28 pm

So are we eventually headed towards wearable computers and some sort of constant wireless connection? It seems without that many of these online apps fall a little short of useful for me. Perhaps because I have a laptop and a pda that syncs along with a work backup system it’s just not meant for folks like me?

• stevewatson April 13, 2006, 3:50 pm

Parke, I don’t have a problem between PDA and computer either. For me it’s between my calendar and my wifes and work and friends and and and…

Like Keith mentioned, I’m hoping the calendar sharing functions are going to help out!

I found out how to access my calendar from my desktop software too. When logged in:
    1. ‘Manage calendars’
    2. then ‘My calendars’
    3. choose specific calendar by picking the name
    4. Under ‘Calendar Details’, there is a ‘Calendar Address’ (public) and ‘Private Address’ (private)

Available via ICAL for access from iCal on your Mac or XML to via as an RSS feed. No obvious easy way for Windows users to get it to Outlook yet.

• onelife April 13, 2006, 9:23 pm

From what i’ve read, Outlook syncing is on the roadmap. I plan on having it integrate with my wife and church/ministry schedule. Only problem now is getting everyone on gmail!